Hayward AREA Film Festival
Launched in 2015, the Hayward Area Film Festival is designed to give students the opportunity to tell their stories, develop their creativity, and further introduce them to the world of filmmaking.
Early submission for the Hayward Area Student Film Festival is on March 22, 2018 and the final submission is on April 14, 2018. Showcase of the films will be on April 26, at 6:00 PM.
Open to interpretation within the following genres of Animation, Narrative, Documentary, Public Service Announcement (P.S.A.), Experimental, and a Film Challenge (more information about the Film Challenge category below) all Terms and Rules must be met.
Inspired by the nationwide 48-Hour Film Festival, the Hayward Area Film Festival is taking on a new Film Challenge category for our local talents, giving a short list of creative requirements to kickstart your new project. Unlike the 48-Hour Film Festival, aspiring filmmakers will have weeks to piece together something new. If you are interested in the Film Challenge choose the Gold List or the Blue List and use those elements in your project for the Hayward Area Film Festival 2018. This is an opportunity for aspiring media makers to exhibit their films and be recognized for their achievements in the Bay.
- Character: Unlimited number of characters; at least 1 character must wear big headphones. Character with headphones must have 1 medium close-up. Character/person does not need to be the main character.
- Line of Monologue/Dialogue: "There has to be another way."
- Prop: Water (glass of water, body of water, etc.)
- Character: Unlimited number of characters; at least 1 character must wear glasses. Character/person with glasses must have 1 medium close-up. Character/person does not need to be the main character.
- Line of Monologue/Dialogue: "I'm not going anywhere near that thing."
- Prop: Time (timer, watch, clock, sundial, etc.)
Terms and conditions
- Entry is strongly encouraged to students enrolled in East Bay Area school districts.
- All films must be uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube and the link to the films must be included when you fill out the Submission Form.
- Films must not exceed 5 minutes in total running time, including credits.
- All selected films may be excerpted for promotional material.
- All selections will be notified by an email notification.
- Profanity in film is not suitable for this event and may disqualify your submission.
- Submissions from previous years are not accepted.
- Early Submission is on March 22, 2018.
- Late Submission is on April 14, 2018.
- If your submission is selected for the Showcase, you may be required to resubmit your file in person.
The open submission period is now closed. Thank you for your interest.
Please follow these instructions for submitting your film
For more information call 510-581-0223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is a partnership with Bay Area Digital Arts (BADA) and Community Multi Media Academy (CMMA).