Collection :: Hayward Photos
A few historic shots around town.
Lyon's Brewery, c. 1890. This was one of two breweries located in Hayward in the 19th century. It was located at about the intersection of Mission Boulevard, Foothill Boulevard, and Jackson Street. 79.033.015
Hayward Carnegie Library
This photo was taken shortly after the 1906 earthquake and shows the damage the building suffered. 79.033.2346
Carnegie Library Demolition
This photo shows the demolition of the Hayward Carnegie Library, 1949. The library was located on the corner of B and First Streets, and was demolished for the widening of Foothill Boulevard. 79.033.6719
Eggert's Blacksmith Shop, c. 1878
Like all small American towns, Haywards was home to a number of blacksmiths. Built in the late 1860s, J.L. River originally operated Eggert’s Blacksmith Shop before Henry Eggert, a former employee, purchased the establishment. In the photo, Eggert stands in the doorway, second from the left.
Southern Pacific Train Depot, c. 1900
The SP station was located near the Hunt’s Cannery, roughly at the end of B Street. Constructed in 1882, the building burnt and was later torn down in 1982.
Aerial photo of Hunt’s Cannery, c. 1948
The cannery was at the foot of B Street in the center of the photo near the railroad tracks and train station. Photo is looking southeast. The line of trees indicates B Street.
Oakes Hotel, c. 1895
Tony Oakes built the Oakes Hotel on Castro Boulevard, near B Street. Oakes Hall was built next to the hotel to accommodate various events. The hotel was located on what is now the parking lot of the Lucky’s Store on Mission Boulevard.
Corner of B and Castro Streets, c. 1890
Traditionally one of the busiest sections of downtown Hayward, this photo shows the dirt roads of the early city. The Schafer Building, home of the Price House, a dry goods retailer, and Ramage Hardware occupy the northeast corner.
City of Hayward, c. 1880
Looking southwest, the photo was taken from above A Street. The two story building on the left is Hayward’s Hotel. On the right, is Castro Street (now Mission Boulevard).
Mount Eden Japanese School, c. 1940
Japanese-American girls pose with their teacher Mrs. Sakakura. The girls attended the local elementary school and then spent several hours with Mrs. Sakakura learning the Japanese language and other elements of their culture.
Hunt Foods, Inc., c. 1950
Stacks of fruit crates ready to be shipped out from the Hayward plant of Hunt Foods.
Hayward Pet Parade tricycle brigade, c. 1946
Children found a variety of ways to participate in the popular Pet Parade, from dressing up their pets, to helping with school floats, to showing off their tricycles.
Hunt’s Cannery, c. 1930
Women peeling tomatoes, with crates of tomatoes stacked in the foreground. The cannery operated from 1896 to 1981 and was a major employer in the Hayward area.
Holmes Grocery Store, 1907
Located on B Street, Holmes Grocery served the community for many years.
Green Shutter Hotel, c. 1940
Looking southeast from the corner of Main and B Streets. The Green Shutter was built in 1926.
Opening of the Strip on Foothill Boulevard, March 17, 1949
“The Strip” featured stores such as J.C. Penney Co., Woolworths, and Crescent Jewelers.
USO dance, August 22, 1945
The USO was active in Hayward during World War II, as seen in this photo of a dance held at the Veteran’s Memorial Building.
Russell School in Russell City, November 1945
The students are reading the local newspaper The Daily Review.
Hayward City Hall, c. 1935
Hayward’s first permanent city hall was constructed on Castro Street in 1930. Municipal offices moved to the civic center in the 1970s. This building was closed in 1989 after it was seriously damaged by the Loma Prieta earthquake.
Guests and Staff at Hayward’s Hotel, 1876
Failed gold miner William Hayward’s purchased property from Guillermo Castro, owner of Rancho San Lorenzo, in 1851 at the corner of A and Main Street. Within a few years he began building Hayward’s Hotel which became a destination place for people visiting the area. At right center is one of the stagecoaches that made regular runs between Hayward and the surrounding East Bay communities bringing visitors to the hotel. To the far right, dressed in white aprons, are Chinese members of the hotel staff.
Castro Street, c. 1895
The block between B and C Streets was one of early Hayward’s busiest business areas. In this photo of Castro Street, looking north from C Street, the Hayward Fire Department is to the right, topped by a cupola and fire bells. Castro Street is now called Mission Boulevard.
Hayward’s Volunteer Fire Company No. 1, 1870
Standing in the middle of A Street, with the Hayward’s Hotel in the background, are members of the Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 including William Hayward, third from left. Behind the company is the town’s first fire-fighting apparatus, a “Jeffries” hand pumper purchased in the aftermath of the 1868 earthquake.
The Town of Haywards, c. 1900
Taken from above Hayward’s Hotel, looking south. The street to the left is Main Street and the steeple-topped building in the center is the Native Son’s Hall on the southeast corner of C and Main Street. Hayward’s Hotel is in the 2-story building in the center of the photo with the porches. The built-up area to the right stands along Mission Boulevard, then called Castro Street.
Geary & Grindell City Stables, c. 1880
Not only did stable owners Geary and Grindell operate this livery on the west side of Castro Street (now Mission Boulevard) between A and B Streets, they also owned one of Hayward’s undertaking establishments.
Hayward Merchants Baseball Team, 1934
One of the many local amateur baseball teams, this groups was sponsored by the Hayward Merchants Association. The team poses at San Leandro Baseball Park.
Markham School, c. 1920
All the girls on the playground at Markham School doing their physical education class. The school was located on the corner of B Street and First Street (now Foothill Boulevard).
Hayward Fire Department, c. 1920
Hayward’s fire department poses for a group photo in front of its station on Castro Street (now Mission Boulevard). The department became a fully-professional fire suppression and rescue service in the 1950s.
Company H, 5th California Infantry, California National Guard, c. 1910
The company was formed in 1909 consisting of men from a variety of occupations and age. In 1916, during the civil upheaval in Mexico and following Pancho Villa’s subsequent raids into New Mexico, Governor Hiram Johnson sent Company H to help protect the boarder.
Eden Congregational Church, c. 1900
In 1867, Eden Congregational Church constructed its permanent building on the southeast corner of A and First Streets, after having met for two years on the second floor of a general store on the corner of B and Main Streets. The Colonial-style church served its congregation at this location until 1947 when the church moved to Grove Street where the chapel still stands.
Hayward Theatre, c. 1948
A crowd lines up to view Tony Martin in Casbah. The theater was located on Mission Boulevard between A and B Streets.
Hayward Street Scene, 1910
An early two-seat automobile parks in front of the Kelly Brothers store on B Street. The Bank of Haywards is to the left.
Hayward Review Office, 1895
A wagon and unidentified driver wait outside the office of the Hayward Review. Established in 1891 as the Republican Review, the paper began as a weekly until principal owner S.C. Smith increased publication to twice a week. The Review did not become a daily newspaper until 1925.
Fourth of July Parade, c. 1910
Getting in the Hayward spirit, the Petersen Brothers Grocery Store brought out their buggy for the town’s Fourth of July celebration.
Hayward Poultry Producers, c. 1930
The Hayward Poultry Producers was formed in 1908 as a cooperative association of the city’s poultry farmers. The HPP sold farm supplies to its members.
Markham School, c. 1920
Completed in 1904 on First Street between B and C Streets. Originally called Hayward Grammar School, this school was later renamed to honor local poet Edwin C. Markham, who served as principal of Hayward’s original grammar school between 1889 and 1890. The school was demolished in 1953.
B. Haas jewelry store, c. 1885
The Haas family poses with their carriage in front of their store located on the east side of Castro (now Mission Boulevard) and directly across the street from the Oakes Hotel.
Hunt’s Cannery, c. 1920
In the company’s preparation room, Hunt’s workers ready fruit for shipping. For over 75 years Hunt’s was Hayward’s largest employer, with approximately 1,000 permanent employees and roughly 4,000 seasonal workers.
All Saints Church Catholic Church, 1925
All Saints Parish was created in 1898. The church exterior was finished in 1909, and the interior was completed in 1923.
Crowd in front of Hayward’s Hotel, c. 1915
Although the town of Haywards grew significantly after the 1868 quake, William Hayward’s old hotel remained a focal point of community life. By the 1880s Hayward added a Mission-style façade and colored shingles, and “Hayward’s Hill” was partially graded to make way for A Street.
Hayward Telephone Operators, 1908
Hayward’s telephone operators work the switchboards as a male supervisor looks on. The town’s first telephone exchange was located on B Street.
NRA construction crew, c. 1935
Two men constructing a water tower on Hesperian Boulevard as part of a National Recovery Administration project.
Native Sons Hall, 1891
Located at the corner of C and Main Streets as a meeting center of Hayward’s chapter of the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West. The tower was visible from across town, and the hall was used for various social events in town.
Opening day of the Oakland, San Leandro, and Haywards Electric Railway Company, May 7, 1892
The railway ran for 14.3 miles from Oakland to the Hayward terminus near the present location of the Plunge.
Corner of B Street and Castro (now Mission Boulevard), c. 1915
Parked on the right is one horse-drawn buggy amidst all the cars.
City Garage in Hayward, 1920
By the 1920s, automobiles were a common sight throughout Hayward. The City Garage stood near A and First Streets and sold Ford and Buick automobiles.
IDES Parade on Castro Street (Mission Boulevard), 1899
The Portuguese Irmandade do Divino Espirito Santo (Brotherhood of the Divine Spirit) constructed its headquarters building on C Street in 1898. In 1899 the group began its IDES procession in Hayward.
Opening day of the Hayward Plunge, 1936
Funded by a $69,000 bond and a $26,000 grant from the New Deal’s Works Progress Administration, the Hayward Plunge, a public pool, opened in 1936 in Memorial Park.
B Street, c. 1940
Markham School students cross the street, guided by a traffic guard. In the background is Borden’s Dairy Shop, a popular stop for children.
B Street, c. 1890
This view looks east toward Castro Street. Horsecar tracks are visible along the center of the street.
Bank of Haywards, c. 1900
Postcard showing the bank on the corner of B Street and Main Street.